Proper evidence handling is a crucial step for any case involving digital evidence. Our proprietary digital collection process can be used for simple data preservation or a complex investigation, and include:
- Cell phones
- Virtual machines
- E-mail accounts
- Cloud storage
- Backup systems
At Capitol Digital and Califorensics, we provide solutions to the most complex data collection situations. We often overcome challenges such as:
- Collecting remotely – from the nearby office, town, state, or country
- Covert collection – to avoid an individual’s or colleague’s knowledge of an investigation
- Live imaging – to prevent system down time
- Mass collections – whether you have one device or a hundred, we can handle the scope
How it works:
Whether collecting on-site, remotely, or at our facility, all devices and data are subject to strict evidence-handling procedures:
- Each piece of evidence is documented with a complete chain of custody record.
- All original evidence is collected in a write-blocked environment to ensure the source is not altered.
- The forensic image is verified against the original data using a hashing algorithm.
- The resulting image file can be viewed—but not altered—ensuring the complete integrity of the evidence.